Today, more companies are realizing the usefulness of IT capacity management tools. While these tools have been around for some time, there wasn’t much of a need for them – until now.
In the world of cloud and virtualized solutions, the high levels of automation and complexity in systems has created a greater need for capacity management in today’s IT environment. Companies need to be able to forecast capacity levels, plan ahead for IT operations, and predict risks in critical applications before they happen. This is where capacity management tools and IT capacity management planning come into play.
What Is IT Capacity Management?
As one of five components in the ITIL Service Delivery area, capacity management is proactive rather than reactive. It’s responsible for making sure business needs and service definitions are completed using the minimum amount of computing resources.
IT capacity management activities can help:
- Manage demand for computing resources (this requires an understanding of business priorities)
- Monitor, analyze, tune, and implement changes in resource utilization
- Understand future resource needs through modeling infrastructure performance
- Size applications to make sure service levels are met
- Store capacity management data
- Create a capacity plan showing current utilization and forecasted requirements, including the costs for new applications or releases support
- Build an annual infrastructure growth plan with feedback from other teams
Why Implement IT Capacity Management?
Capacity management offers both immediate and long-term benefits. You’ll lower costs, experience more consistent levels of service, and improve the quality of your services.
By implementingIT capacity management, you can:
- Get more out of IT resources
- Improve performance, reduce consumption, and delay upgrades by fine tuning applications and infrastructure
- Ensure consistent reporting
- Eliminate redundant work
- Make informed business decisions with on time and accurate capacity and related cost information
- Project use at future growth levels and receive advanced warning to make corrections in before problems occur
By utilizing capacity management processes, businesses have more access to service level and financial data. This enables business leaders make better, informed decisions.
What Is Capacity Management Planning?
Now that we’re a little clearer on IT capacity management, capacity management planningfocuses on converting resources to the right size based on business requirements and growth. It is demand-based and allows you to forecast issues before they happen. Companies should use capacity management planning as a strategic tool to lower costs and offer scenarios based on business effectiveness.
Capacity management tools are a necessity for companies to get the most out of their IT resources, reduce costs, and improve their ability to plan for future capacity requirements. If you need help with IT capacity management, we’ve got the tools and experience to get the most out of your IT resources. Contact Datera for help with capacity management planning today.